SCAM OF THE WEEK: WATCH OUT FOR ROBOCALL SCAMS
The bad guys are automating robocall scams worldwide. Recently, there has been a rise in this type of fraud. They have a variety of attacks that you should watch out for. Here are a few examples:
- Bank account and credit card scams where the bad guy claims to be an official from your bank or card company
- Extortion scams where they request payment for a kidnapped friend or family member
- Callback scams where you are tricked into calling back a very expensive international number
Remember the following to avoid robocall scams:
- If you receive a call from a company urging you to complete a request, hang up and call back the company directly to investigate.
- Scammers can spoof any number they'd like. Therefore, even if a call looks like its coming from a familiar source, it could be a scam.
- Never provide personal information over the phone unless you're the one who initiated the call.
Think Before You Pick Up!
Stop, Look, and Think. Don't be fooled.
The KnowBe4 Security Team, KnowBe4.com